Since April 24, 2023, the students from IVTK have been doing a four-week internship in Malaga – a charming city located in southern Spain on the Costa del Sol. It is one of the most important cities in Andalusia and a popular tourist destination due to its beautiful surroundings, rich history and culture and magnificent beaches.
The students are doing their internship in the gardens of the academic campus, in a hostel and in social welfare home. Working in the gardens in Malaga, as in other places with a Mediterranean climate, requires carrying out activities that allow plants to maintain healthy conditions.
The interns are performing the following tasks: weeding, pruning and caring for trees and hedge shrubs, cleaning, maintenance and care of water elements (water ponds and fountains), planting plants according to the project, installing irrigation for flower beds and lawns, watering, maintenance of small architectural elements, preparation of soil for planting.
Thanks to the internships, the students are acquiring many new professional skills, including:
– the nomenclature and the habitat requirements of exotic plants,
– gardening work performed in a completely different climate,
– working in a group and solve problems.
The students are acquiring many language skills and are practicing foreign languages both at work and outside of it. They are overcoming barriers in establishing contacts and getting to know a new culture.
It is a great opportunity for personal development. Their diligence and conscientious performance of tasks are appreciated by superiors.
Our students are not only working but have time to visit beautiful places in Malaga and its monuments. The students have visited so far:
– The Alcazaba Fortress, which is one of the most important monuments in Malaga. Inside the fortress there are numerous courtyards, fountains, and cloisters, and from the top, there is a beautiful view of the city.
– The Roman Theater, which is located in the heart of the city and can accommodate up to 15,000 spectators. Currently, the theater is used as a stage for various cultural events, such as concerts and festivals.
– The Picasso Museum – where visitors can admire over 200 works of art by Picasso, including paintings, drawings, and sculptures.
They are spending their free time walking, sunbathing, and admiring charming places. One of the main attractions has been a Catamaran cruise along the Costa del Sol coast.
Our next step will be visiting the beautiful historical botanical garden Jardin Botanico Historico – La Concepcion, which covers an area of over 23 hectares. This garden is a place where you can admire over 3,000 different species of plants from all over the world, including many exotic and rare ones.
Article by Aleksandra Zalewska and Ewelina Gwiazda